Profession: Honorary Member
Phone: (714) 351-3580
3017 East Gainsborough Road
Orange, California 92869
Areas of Practice:
- First Attorney Position: Deputy City Attorney for the City of Santa Ana, Calif. serving under William Mock, then City Attorney, later Orange County Municipal Court Judge, West Court
- Western State College of Law: Part-time law school instructor l970-71 in legal writing and also in corporation law
- Self-employed private practice: Richard G. Vogl, Inc. 1972-1987
- From l975, part-time occasional Juvenile Court Judge Pro Tem and from l981, part-time occasional Judge Pro Tem in Superior Court
- March 3, 1987 appointed to the Superior Court as Commissioner/Judge per state Constitution Article VI, Section 21
- Author and co-editor of “The Family Law Corner”, a monthly column in The Orange County Lawyer magazine, Feb. l985 to February 2005 published by Orange County Bar Association. List of articles on AVVO website.
- Article: “Family Law in Orange County” became chapter in book Los Angeles Family Law Symposium Journal for l988 published by Los Angeles County Bar Association.
- Article: “Innovative Measures to Get and Keep Collateral for Child Support Payments.” printed in Child Support Report, January l989, published by the Department of Health and Human Services, National Child Support Enforcement Reference Center;
- Article: “Helping your Divorcing Patient” published in the Orange County Chapter of the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists’ Newsletter in March l990
- Article: “A New Look at Ex Parte Requests” publication by Matthew Bender & Co in August l990 edition of California Family Law Reports
- 1975: Child Custody Seminar Chairman, Seminar sponsored by the Orange County Bar Association Family Law Section and the Santa Ana Psychiatric Center
- 1977: Selected Problems in Substantive Law (lecturer) sponsored by the Orange County Bar Association in l977. Topic: Family Law
- 1978: Fifth Annual Family Law Seminar (Lecturer) Jan. 21, l978; Topic: Custody Problems
- 1980: The Unusual Family Law Seminar (Lecturer) sponsored by the Orange County Trial Lawyers Secretaries Association, March l980
- 1982: Continuing Education of the Bar (Lecturer) Jan. l982
Topic: Short Civil Non-Jury Trials
- 1987: Bridging of the Gap, Orange County speaker through the 1999 as sponsored by Orange County Barristers Association; Topic: Family Law.
- 1989, Family Law Section “Brown Bag Lunch and Lecture” March l, l989: Topic: Child support on the Computer
- 1989: Luncheon speaker for each of the following:
South Orange County Bar Association, March l989
Orange County Barristers Association, April l989
Orange County Bar Assoc. Family Law Section, June l989
General Section luncheon meeting
- l990: October Speaker for “What Professionals Need to Know About the Divorce Process”, sponsored by the Divorce Education and Family Counseling Center and CPC Laguna Hills Hospital.
- 1991: May Speaker for Pepperdine University Counseling Class through Ms. Jackie Singer, M.A., 2061 Business Center Drive, STE 201, Irvine, California 92715
- 1991: October 26; Continuation of the Bar 8 hour class “Family Law Litigation” with Attorneys David Price, Mark Minyard and Gerold Williams.
- 1992: twelve individual one-hour classes offered at lunch in how to determine child support by DissoMaster computer program
- February 24, 1993: OCBA Family Law Section symposium “Child Support By Computer”
- April 3, 1993, Continuation of the Bar 8 hour class “Martial Agreements” panelist with Attorneys Gerold Williams, Brenda Agren, and Robert Des Jardins
- May 1993: dinner speaker to Family Law Section of the Long Beach Bar Association, “Child Support By Computer”
- July 1993, speaker to Family Law Section of Los Angeles County Bar Association, “Child Support by Computer” with Lawrence E. Leone, Attorney at law
- August 1993, luncheon speaker for Orange County Barrister’s Association on topic of “Child Support by Computer”
- October 1993, speaker for 38th Annual Conference of Superior Court clerk’s Association of California, Erin Rigby, Conference Chairman, Orange County Clerk’s Office
- March, 1994, guest speaker for Orange County Chapter of the Retired Officers Association, “Family Law in Orange County”
- February 25, 1995, moderator and leading speaker for County Barrister’s “The Custody Battle Royal” for 8-hour conference.
- October 7, 1995, guest speaker for California Court Interpreters Association’s 1995, Annual Conference (1 hour).
- March 1996, speaker for “District Attorney Calendar” for California Family Law and Procedure Institute, California Center for Judicial Education and Research w/Comm. Neil Shepherd.
- April 1996, conference leader for County Barrister’s “Child Support Symposium” for 8-hour conference held at Chapman Law School.
- October 1996,and 1997, speaker for Center for Judicial Education and Research course for 1996 California Retired Judges Institute. Topic: “1996 Family Law Update”
- Semester 1996, taught class at University of California at Irvine: “Paralegal Family Law”
- Started in Summer of 1996, teaching classes at Chapman University School of Law of “Community Property” and “Community property”, and taught for six years.
- January 2006, taught “Custody” to Legal Document Assistant course in Riverside County for committee chair: Connie Blalock, 198 N. Arrowhead, San Bernardino, CA 92408
- May 2006, taught in panel discussion three hour “Family Law Basic Training” for Orange County Bar Association and the Public Law Center, with Steven Hittelman
- May 2006, taught in panel discussion eight hour “Family Law Basics” for Continuing Education of the Bar for State Bar Association with Mark Minyard, David Wald, and Michael Fisher.
- October 2009, taught in panel discussion seven hour “Family Court Judicial Forum” for National Business Institute.
|Spirit of Volunteerism Award||ONE Orange County 2018|
|Justice Wiley W. Manuel Pro Bono Services Certificate||State Bar of California Certificate 2018|
|2016 Family Law Award||Legal Aid Association of California 2016|
|Distinguished Society of Fellows Judicial Award||Orange County Bar Foundation 2015|
|Access to Justice Award||Legal Aid Society of Orange County 2015|
|Judge of the Year||Orange County Child Prevention Center 2011|
|Family Law Judge of the Year||Families Assessment Counseling and Assessment Services 2010|
|Distinguished Jurist Award||American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Southern California Chapter 2006|
|Certificate of Appreciation||California Department of Child Support Services 2001|
|Special Recognition Award||Orange County Women Lawyers Association 2001|
|Family Law Section: J. E. T. Rutter Award||Orange County Bar Association 1994|
|Volunteer Attorney of the Year||Legal Aid Society of Orange County 1984|
|Service Award||Orange County Bar Association 1973|
- Cal-State University at Long Beach; entered summer of l962 and graduated summer of l965 with Social Sciences B.A.
- Loyola University School of Law, Los Angeles, entered 1965 and graduated 1968 with Juris Doctor;Academic honors include: (l) American Jurisprudence Prize for Excellence in Code Pleading, 1967, and (2) American Jurisprudence Prize for Excellence in Divorce and Separation Law, 1968
- University of Southern California Law Center, Los Angeles 1978 Advanced Domestic Relations Practice course through Advanced Professional Program, taught by Stuart B. Walzer & Stephen AdamsAnnual Seminars completed through California Family Law Reports Corporation and Briefcase, Inc.
- April 1987, Judge’s Orientation: California Center for Judicial Education and Research, Berkeley, California
- May 17-20, 1987: Interstate Enforcement of Child Support Conference, Tampa, Florida, sponsored by Eastern Regional URESA Conference and Institute for Court Management of the National Center for State Courts.
- March 9-11, 1989, Family Law and Procedure Conference; Center for Judicial Education
- July 1989, Judge’s College, California Center for Judicial Education and Research, Berkeley, CA
- June 10-15, 1990, 37th National Security Forum of United States Air Force through Air War College at Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama
- Fall Semester 1992, Rancho Santiago Junior College class: Honors Course in Introduction to Intercultural Communication.
- Jan. 22, 1993, “Domestic Violence Seminar: The Terror of Living with Violence” by Carondelet Management Institute with Alyce LaViolette, M.S., author of “Battered Women, Power and Family Systems Therapy”
- April 2, 1993, Orange County Bar Association sponsored class: A Rather Different Advocacy Seminar” by Keith Evans,Attorney at law from firm of Gray, Cary, Ames & Frye
- February 1997, California Family Support Council 42nd Annual Training Conference, a four day workshop – Review and Training for upcoming child support laws to be in effect July 1, 1997
- October 1997, National Child Support Enforcement Association Council with the California Family Support Council’s two day training conference, – Review and Training for upcoming uniform interstate family support act to be in effect Jan. 1, 1998
Licenses & Memberships:
- Became Certified Family Law Specialist in Family Law in California, Dec. l6, 1981
- Orange County Bar Association member since September l970
- Family Law Section, Orange County Bar Assoc, member since l971. On Board of Directors in years l983, and l984; President/Chairman l975
- Legal Aid Society of Orange County member of Board of Directors Nov. l972 throrugh April l977; also volunteer attorney 2013 through 2018
- Personnel Board of City of Santa Ana June l975 through March l977
- Orange County Vector Control Board representing City of Santa Ana May l977 through April l978
- Member of the Board of Directors, Orange County Volunteer Center, January l990 to February 1992.
- Member of Advisory Board for Law-Career Explorer Post formed April l990 with Ms. Kathleen Harry of Boy Scouts of America, Orange County Council, Inc. (3590 Harbor Gateway North, Costa Mesa, CA.) (l990) through February 1992.
- Member of Loyola University School of Law Alumni Association (l987-1992)
- Past member of the Orange County Performing Arts “Founders Plus” Board of Directors, September 1992.
- Member of Advisory committee for the Paralegal Certificate Program at UC Irvine Extension 2005 through 2011